Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ahh- I love the smell of blogging in the morning

Admitted corny- but that was a great movie.

Sorta how I feel about trade shows like ad tech. Last Tuesday I woke up and was dreading heading to ad tech. So many people - total cheese and did I mention so many people! Fake smiles. Fake business card exchanges (you know the kind when you're talking to someone and halfway through you realize there is absolutely no way you are going to do business and for whatever reason you just keep nodding your head yes while they talk and then accept their card at the end). Fake interest in products so you can get the coolest chachkes on the trade show floor. You all know what I am talking about- and to say otherwise would be false. Totally corny.

Then I arrived at the show. And amidst all the layers of cheese- I actually found the content. I reconnected with old friends. Saw the familiar faces. Met people I had only spoken to on the phone- great people like Glen and Phil. Two low key guys who have great ideas to make the internet work for them- and they were genuinely great people. I also brokered a deal for my ex college roommate who is CEO of a very successful company. Happened to run into an old high school acquaintance. It was fun to see her success after not seeing her for 14 years.

All in all- I walked away with a few serious prospects. Had a engaging conversation about the future of the internet over the best thai food I have ever tasted. Brokered 3 deals. Met new friends that I look forward to doing business with for years to come. Had one half a beer. Caught up with people I wanted to. And, saw people I wasn't expecting but was glad to see.

So, yes, there is a lot of corny. And heading into the conference that is all I could think about... however, leaving the show I feel like it was well worth it and I am so glad I went. Next time you head out to one of these things- think about all the positive that might come out of it.

Next trip I am looking forward to finishing the other half of my beer...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home